Geniculate Artery Embolization
Patient with knee pain or bloody joint effusions are often informed that surgery or medicine are their only options. Non-surgical treatment called geniculate artery embolization, on the other hand, maybe an effective alternative option for osteoarthritis and hemarthrosis.
Connective tissue called cartilage acts as a lubricant in joints, making it possible to move freely. Over time these can wear down and the joints can become inflamed causing what is called osteoarthritis (OA). 32.5 million Americans are affected with OA each year. The knee, hands, elbows, and spine are the most common locations.1,2
- Lombardi M, Cardenas AC. Hemarthrosis. [Updated 2020 Aug 8]. In: StatPearls [Internet]. Treasure Island (FL): StatPearls Publishing; 2020 Jan-. Available from: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK525999/
- Medical News Today. All you need to know about hemarthrosis by Tom Seymour. Date: December 27, 2017. https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/320443#
- Hemarthrosis by Jacquelyn Cafasso, medically reviewed by Graham Rogers, M.D. Updated on June 14, 2017. https://www.healthline.com/health/hemarthrosis
- The Hemophilia, von Willebrand Disease & Platelet Disorders Handbook. Joint Bleeds. https://www.hog.org/handbook/article/3/33/joint-bleeds
- Yoo JH, Oh HC, Park SH, Lee S, Lee Y, Kim SH. Treatment of Recurrent Hemarthrosis after Total Knee Arthroplasty. Knee Surg Relat Res. 2018;30(2):147-152. doi:10.5792/ksrr.17.059. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5990227
- National Cancer Institute. Arterial embolization.https://www.cancer.gov/publications/dictionaries/cancer-terms/def/arterial-embolization
- Maheshwari R, Kelley SP, Langkamer VG, Loveday E. Spontaneous recurrent haemarthrosis following unicompartmental knee arthroplasty and its successful treatment by coil embolisation. Knee. 2004;11:413-5.
- van Baardewijk LJ, Hoogeveen YL, van der Geest ICM, Schultze Kool LJ. Embolization of the Geniculate Arteries Is an Effective Treatment of Recurrent Hemarthrosis Following Total Knee Arthroplasty That Can Be Safely Repeated. J Arthroplasty. 2018 Apr;33(4):1177-1180.e1. doi: 10.1016/j.arth.2017.11.002. Epub 2017 Nov 24. PMID: 29224993. https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/29224993
- Osteoarthritis – Symptoms and causes – Mayo Clinic. Accessed March 2, 2022. https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/osteoarthritis/symptoms-causes/syc-20351925
- Osteoarthritis (OA) | Arthritis | CDC. Accessed March 2, 2022. https://www.cdc.gov/arthritis/basics/osteoarthritis.htm
- Osteoarthritis | National Institute on Aging. Accessed March 2, 2022. https://www.nia.nih.gov/health/osteoarthritis
- Rönn K, Reischl N, Gautier E, Jacobi M. Current surgical treatment of knee osteoarthritis. Arthritis. 2011;2011:1-9. doi:10.1155/2011/454873
- Padia SA, Genshaft S, Blumstein G, et al. Genicular Artery Embolization for the Treatment of Symptomatic Knee Osteoarthritis. JB & JS open access. 2021;6(4). doi:10.2106/JBJS.OA.21.00085
- Heller DB, Beggin AE, Lam AH, Kohi MP, Heller MB. Geniculate Artery Embolization: Role in Knee Hemarthrosis and Osteoarthritis. Radiographics. 2022;42(1):289-301. doi:10.1148/RG.210159/ASSET/IMAGES/LARGE/RG.210159.VA.JPEG
- Torkian P, Golzarian J, Chalian M, et al. Osteoarthritis-Related Knee Pain Treated With Genicular Artery Embolization: A Systematic Review and Meta-analysis. Orthopaedic journal of sports medicine. 2021;9(7):23259671211021356. doi:10.1177/23259671211021356
- van Zadelhoff TA, Moelker A, Bierma-Zeinstra SMA, Bos PK, Krestin GP, Oei EHG. Genicular artery embolization as a novel treatment for mild to moderate knee osteoarthritis: protocol design of a randomized sham-controlled clinical trial. Trials. 2022;23(1):1-8. doi:10.1186/S13063-021-05942-X/TABLES/1
- Society of Interventional Radiology – SIR 2021 knee pain. Accessed March 2, 2022. https://www.sirweb.org/media-and-pubs/media/news-release-archive/sir-2021-knee-pain-031621/
- Geniculate Artery Embolization for the Treatment of Knee Pain Secondary to Osteoarthritis NCT number NCT02850068. Published online 2017.